Skip to Main Content

Veterinarian-Issued Health Certificates for Traveling

We know there is a lot you have to get done in order to prepare for a trip, especially if you are bringing your cat or dog with you. Luckily, our vets are qualified to help you obtain the health care certificates your pet requires to travel.

Book An Appointment

Traveling With Your Pet

Your pet will require specific vaccinations and tests in order to enter different countries. The USDA-APHIS office states that veterinarian-issued health certificates have to be completed within the exact time frame based on the state’s or country’s destination requirements. Please keep in mind that Hawaii’s health certificate requirements are very similar to an international health certificate.

You also need to know that most health certificates are only valid for up to 10 days, while only a few are valid for longer. Our appointment slots often fill up days or even weeks in advance, so call us as early as you can.

Veterinarian-Issued Health Certificates for Traveling

Before Your Appointment

Please follow the list below when preparing for your pet's health certificate appointment:

  • Review the requirements for pet travel to your destination

    You can find the requirements on the USDA Pet Travel website. Green Valley Veterinary Clinic's role is to complete the certificate and provide the vaccines and shots required for travel but, it's your responsibility to understand the requirements and make sure they are being met during the correct time frame.

  • Contact your airlines

    You have to inquire with the airlines and see if they have any more travel requirements, including specific vaccines or forms that you need to complete.

  • Call the hospital to make an appointment.

    International health certificate appointments will take 1 hour per pet. National health certificate appointments will be 30 minutes (except for Hawaii, which is also 1 hour). Most health certificates are valid for 10 days and take 1-3 business days to be processed by the USDA, so remember to plan your health certificate appointment and travel dates accordingly.

  • What to bring to the appointment
    • Your full name, current address, and phone number
    • The name of your travel destination (person, hotel, etc.), address, and phone number
    • The dates your pet will be traveling, method of transportation, and port of entry
    • All previous records from other veterinary clinics
    • Many health certificates need an original signed rabies certificate and the exact date of microchip implantation. If these were not performed at Green Valley Veterinary Clinic and are needed for your pet's travel, you have to bring these forms and dates with you to your pet's appointment.

During Your Appointment

At your appointment, we will perform a full examination of your pet to make sure they are healthy enough to travel. Your vet will then fill out the Health Certificates.

You then have to submit the completed certificates to the USDA office in Albany, NY. Processing time generally takes 1 - 3 business days.

When the certificate is finalized, you can either pick it up in person or it can be mailed to your address overnight. If you would like to have the health certificate mailed to you overnight,  you can purchase a pre-paid self-addressed overnight shipping label from FedEx.

Our Yucaipa veterinarians are available to help you facilitate your pet's travel process and to complete the required form. However, it is your responsibility to make sure all the travel requirements are met- so we ask that you come to your appointment prepared!

« Go Back

New Patients Welcome

Green Valley Veterinary Clinic is accepting new patients! Our experienced vets are passionate about the health of Yucaipa companion animals. Get in touch today to book your pet's first appointment.

(909) 790-2963 Contact